The Nature Collection is an educational loan service that offers a wide array of resource materials for educators to use in their classrooms. The Nature Collection Memberships are available to teachers, librarians, and other educators.
- Individual Membership $75
- School Membership (up to 9 teachers) $200
- Membership is valid for one year
- Two week loan period (extensions upon request)
Days and Hours of Operation
Nature Collection operates on Wednesdays and Fridays between 3:00–5:00 PM and on Sundays between 10:00 AM–4:00 PM.
Please Note: In order to allow for social distancing, you need to make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance. You can sign up here. You are also required to wear a face covering.
An active Nature Collection membership is required to check-out items. Memberships can be purchased or renewed during appointment
What can be borrowed?
Please Note: At this time the Lending Library will only loan specimens that are encased in plexiglass or Riker mounts.
- Taxidermy mounts of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians
- Marine life specimens
- Bird nests and eggs
- Geology and paleontology specimens
- Animal skeletons, bones, and skins
- Chumash Indian artifact reproductions
- Books and other media focusing on natural history topics
(maximum of two per loan period)
How does the Membership work?
- Members may check out materials on a first-come, first serve basis. No reservations or holds except on the day member intends to check out item.
- Each member may check out up to 6 items* for two weeks. Kits are excluded. Overdue fines: $1 per item, per day.
- Books are restricted to two per loan period.
- Checkout and return of items are the personal responsibility of the Member. Overdue, lost or damaged items will incur additional fees.
Information: Nature Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 805-682-4711 ext. 122.