What is a Docent?
- Docents receive special training to educate students as well as adult guests. During the school year, they conduct tours and lead grade-level programs for school groups, in the galleries and outdoors. During the summer months, they may also volunteer in Museum galleries offering content to the general public relating to the various hall content (birds, mammals, insects, marine life, paleontology, etc.).
- Docents are invited to volunteer for additional opportunities across the Museum programs.
- Docents receive special access to Museum scientific staff, exhibits, guest lectures and field trips.
What is the time commitment for a Docent?
- The training class for new Docents runs September through December.
- Class is held Monday mornings 9:30-11:00AM.
- Upon completion of the class, Docents volunteer one morning a week, Tuesday-Friday. 9:30AM to noon, from October through May (vacations accommodated).
Information: Contact Kristen Carte-Smith, School and Teacher Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 805-682-4711 ext. 168.