Through mid-2018 the Museum’s highly popular Backyard and Nature Club House will receive enhancements and new exploratory program spaces.
During this time, a new outdoor nature engagement area, BaseCamp is located on the south side of Mission Creek from September 2017 through Summer 2018.
BaseCamp is open daily from 10:00 AM-5:00 PM (with the exception of the Field Station):
- Build Zone: Create structures using bamboo poles.
- Search Zone: Dig deep and search for invertebrates*, and play with tractors in our mulch pile.
- Nature Art Zone: Use things found in nature to make beautiful masterpieces.
- Naturalist Field Station: Open weekdays from 10:00 AM-Noon and weekends from 12:15-3:15 PM* (*Subject to change)
Every weekday and weekend, a Naturalist will open up our Field Station Tent and share natural objects, live insects, and other small critters.*
- Bug Boot Camp: Weekends from 10:30-11:30 AM, no sign-up required, and walk-ins are welcome. Use tools, magnifiers and ID guides with a Naturalist to discover a variety of insects and more found in the Museum's mulch pile.
Want to explore the outdoors more? Download our nature exploration guides:
- Birds of Santa Barbara - A Guide for Youth & Adults
- Birding Expedition 1: Andree Clark Bird Refuge
- Birding Expedition 2: Arroyo Burro Beach
- Birding Expedition 3: Lake Los Carneros
- Birding Expedition 4: Oak Woodland at Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
- A Kids' Guide to Backyard Critters
- How to Raise Wooly Bear Caterpillars
- Santa Barbara Bugs
- Understanding Bird Language