The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Mission Canyon Campus and Sea Center offer school groups unique learning experiences through various activities designed to meet specific educational goals. Students are encouraged to develop keen observation skills, to generate questions, and to construct a personal understanding of the natural world. School programs are aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards and support the Common Core. Reservations are required for all programs.
Museum Mission Canyon Campus
To inquire or register for a Museum
program, please fill out the registration
Travis King, School and
Teacher Services Specialist
805-682-4711 ext. 108 or
- Programs run Tuesday-Friday
- Astrono-Mondays offered for 5th/6th grade
- Arrival time is 9:30AM
- Programs run 10:00AM-Noon
Sea Center Campus
To inquire or register for a Sea Center
program, please contact:
Steve Keller, School and
Teacher Services Coordinator Sea Center
805-962-2526 ext. 108 or email@example.com
- Programs run Monday-Friday
- Arrival time is 9:30AM
- Programs run 10:00 AM-Noon
- Includes one hour Sea Center tour combined with grade-level Outdoor Nature Exploration on the beach.
Field Trip Programs: To view all grade specific programs at each site, please refer to the School Program Guide.
Each class must choose from two of the following one hour school programs when booking a field trip:
- Museum or Sea Center Interactive Tour (Offered at Sea Center and Museum)
- Discovery Lab (Museum only)
- Outdoor Nature Exploration (Offered at Sea Center and Museum)
- Planetarium (maximum capacity, 44) (Museum only)
Middle School & High School Programs:
School programing availible for all grade levels. Please call to inquire about field trip programing for grades 7-12.
Fees, Terms & Conditions
- All field trips run for 2 hours, with a fee of $100 per class.
- Once booked, date change requests will be answered in the order in which they received. Please have your dates confirmed with your colleagues and grade level team before booking your trip.
- Payment must be received two weeks prior to visit in order to secure reservation.
- Per class fee includes 1 free adult for every 5 students. Additional adults must pay.
- Additional Adults $8 per adult at the Museum, $6.50 per adult at the Sea Center.
Scholarship for Financial Assistance
- If 50% of your students qualify for free or reduced lunch under California State law, you may be eligible for assistance to cover program fees (not available for transportation costs).
Museum Access Fund (PDF)
Arrival and Departure
- Buses must plan on arriving 30 minutes early. This prevents traffic delays and gives students a chance to use the restrooms before starting their visit.
- Buses will pick up students in front of the Museum or Sea Center at 12:30PM.