Hours: Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 2:00-5:00 PM
What is the Nature Collection?
The Nature Collection is an educational loan service that offers a wide array of resource materials for educators to use in their classrooms.
What can be borrowed?
- Taxidermy mounts of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians
- Marine life specimens
- Bird nests and eggs
- Geology and paleontology specimens
- Animal skeletons, bones, and skins
- Chumash Indian artifact reproductions
- Curriculum kits
- Books and other media focusing on natural history topics
Who can use the program?
The Nature Collection Memberships are available to teachers, librarians, and other educators.
Nature Collection Gallery
How much does a membership cost?
One-year memberships are available at the following rate:
- Individual membership $60.
- Full school membership $300. ($150 for schools with 10 or fewer teachers)
(Must include staff roster and names of parents entitled to pick up/return items)
How does the Membership work?
- Members may check out materials on a first-come, first serve basis. No reservations or holds except on the day member intends to check out item.
- Each member may check out up to 8 items* for TWO WEEKS. Overdue fines: $1 per item, per day. (* 4 mounted specimens and 2 curriculum kits max per checkout, plus unlimited number of books)
- Checkout and return of items are the personal responsibility of the member. Overdue, lost or damaged items will incur additional fees.
How do I join?
Complete the Membership Application and return it with the appropriate membership fee to:
- Nature Collection
Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
For more information: (805) 682-4711 ext 122