What’s Happening in Teen Programs:
VOLUNTEENS - work with the public, learn about the museum, gain community service hours, and explore ways of connecting further with the museum or Sea Center
Summer 2015 application process has closed.
check website for information or call: 805-682-4711 ext. 172
QUASARS TO SEA STARS - Teen Science Program
Application process will re-open in early 2016 for high school freshmen!
QUASARS TO SEA STARS
What is QUASARS TO SEA STARS?
Quasars to Sea Stars is a competitive, three-year, hands-on program for teens who are excited about science, nature, or museums. Applicants should be high school freshman in the Santa Barbara region who are eager to explore science and nature beyond their school classroom. Quasars work closely with educators, scientists and museum staff to learn about the natural world, including entomology, zoology, astronomy, marine biology, and anthropology. Students learn important life skills such as public speaking, research, craftsmanship, and leadership.
After completing 60 hours of community service with the museum or Sea Center, students are eligible to become paid staff members, working with Museum scientists and professionals in a variety of departments.
Quasars also get to expand their knowledge through nature-based trips and field studies, both locally and regionally!
WHAT STUDENTS WILL DO OVER 3 YEARS:
- Take museum and science classes
- Hike, camp, snorkel, and kayak
- Teach the public and kids about science
- Explore science-related careers with experts and professionals
- Earn community service hours
- Volunteer at fun events
- Be a paid employee at the Museum and Sea Center
- Have lots of fun and make friends
ARE YOU INTERESTED?
- You need to be interested in science, education, and nature
- You should be reliable, motivated to learn, and committed, with a minimum 2.5 G.P.A.
- To apply, you must be the age-equivalent of a freshman in high school
QUASARS TO SEA STARS IS A THREE YEAR COMMITMENT!
YEAR-ROUND COMMITMENT REQUIRED.
- Summer Commitment - Minimum of 25 hours per week, cannot miss more than 1 week each summer (through the four years of the program). Summer commitment: mid June – mid August.
- School Year Commitment - Minimum of 20 hours per month. September–June (through all three years).
THE APPLICATION PROCESS WILL OPEN AGAIN IN EARLY 2016.
Contact Kelley App
TEEN PROGRAMS MANAGER
805-682-4711 ext. 172
Lyn and David Anderson