Benefits -- We care about you and your family. The programs we offer are aimed at supporting you and your loved ones in various stages of their lives. Full Time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Retirement Plan: The Museum provides a 403(b) defined contribution plan to employees who meet eligibility requirements. If you contribute for example 3% of your regular salary then the Museum will also match your contribution up to 3% of your salary to the plan. You also have access to financial consultants to assist you in making investment decisions.
- Insurance Benefits: The Museum pays for health insurance for all full time regular employees. Dependent coverage is optional and is provided subject to the participant paying half the cost of coverage. Life insurance in the amount of $25,000 is provided to eligible employees. The Museum also provides long term disability insurance for employees. Dental and Vision coverage is also offered to eligible employees and these benefits are paid for by the employee.
- Time Off Benefits: We all need time away from work to recharge, travel, take care of ourselves or loved ones. We offer generous time off benefits to all full time regular employees which includes 10 ½ holidays each year, as well as sick leave and vacation benefits based upon the time you have worked for the Museum. For example in your first year an employee would receive 12 days of vacation.
Programs Offered to all employees include:
- Employee Assistance Program: The Museum pays for a counseling service that is available to all employees regardless of their part time, full time, or temporary status. The confidential counseling sessions are free to the employee who can use the service to talk about any concern or problem (finances, health, relationships, etc.)
- Ride Share: The Museum supports the city’s ride share program by providing those employees that commute to work, free bus passes.
- Free Admission to City Museums: You and your family receive a membership to the SBMNH and Sea Center. The museums of Santa Barbara have agreed to allow every employee free admission to the city’s museums, botanic garden, zoo and Lotusland, and many others.
- Massage: Weekly onsite chair massages are available at competitive rates.
- Museum and Sea Center Discounts: You can attend many of the lectures, community education classes and planetarium shows free or at a 50% discounted rate. In addition you receive discounts for nature adventure camps for kids, store purchases, and more.